UC Merced Institutional Research and Decision Support (IRDS) assists units across campus that administer surveys to students, faculty, staff, and alumni. The primary focus of the surveys administered by IRDS is UC Merced students.
Below you will find materials designed to help you:
- Understand what surveys are conducted to collect student data
- Access student survey data relevant to your needs
- Plan for additional data collection.
Annual Campus Surveys
- Calendar of Annual Campus Surveys Administered by IRDS
- For a broader view of all campus surveys, please refer to our Campus Survey Calendar. To add your survey to the calendar, please visit the Survey Coordination webpage.
Student Survey Data
Use the following links to access student survey instruments, annual reports, and longitudinal data:
Planning for a Survey
IRDS is one of several resources at UC Merced that can help plan your survey. IRDS will consider requests for assistance with the development and analysis of surveys conducted by academic departments, committees/task forces, and administrative units. Surveys with a broad institutional purpose, and those required by external governmental and accrediting bodies, are given first priority. Surveys considered to have a broad institutional purpose are those (a) needed for institutional planning and goal-setting/evaluation and (b) for which the results will be used by more than one unit on campus.
IRDS offers consultation on research design, question wording, survey design, programming in Qualtrics (our campus survey tool), survey administration, and reporting and analysis. Direct administrative support will only be given to surveys with a clear broad institutional purpose (defined above) and as time, schedule, and staffing levels permit. IRDS may have to deny or postpone requests for assistance if time does not permit or for surveys that do not meet these criteria. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a consultation.
Survey Coordination and Additional Survey Resources at UC Merced
Beginning in January 2016, UC Merced launched a campus-wide initiative to coordinate survey activity. The goals of this survey coordination effort are to help campus staff, faculty, and students:
- Use surveys to gather quality data;
- Time survey administration to minimize concurrent surveying of the same population;
- Make the most of existing survey data, including, as appropriate, developing a repository of survey instruments and reports for the benefit of the entire campus community; and
- Promote survey practices that adhere to relevant policies and regulations.
IRDS encourages campus departments who wish to administer surveys to support this effort by visiting the Survey Coordination webpage to learn more about the initiative. The webpage also provides resources to support the development of quality surveys.